Senior User Experience Design Manager- Austin, TX
athenahealth is looking for high-level design thinkers who can dive into complex design challenges and create solutions to help transform the health care industry. Our UX team of top-notch designers, copywriters, and usability researchers has grown significantly this past year, and we need additional talented interaction design professionals to join us in transforming the UX of health care applications. Do you have a passion for solving complex design problems, and for designing solutions that balance practical constraints with the needs of health care professionals for efficiency and clarity in multiple contexts? Do you thrive when working on critical business challenges at a fast pace on small cross-functional teams? Do you take pride working collaboratively to produce client value every day? If so, help us help doctors better manage their practices, patients, and cash flow as we revolutionize the health care process.
We’re looking for a senior user experience (UX) design manager to significantly contribute to our breakthrough approach to care coordination. Our innovative cloud-based applications have become the premier choice for hundreds of medical practices across the country. If you have an impressive track record in designing usable applications that empower people to perform complex coordinated work efficiently and safely, we want you to join our quest to make healthcare work the way it should.
- Deeply understand target users’ needs, motivations and behaviors in delivering and coordinating health care.
- Work with development, program management and usability to translate high-level business goals into actionable requirements for a series of short sprints, each one resulting in a client-facing release.
- Rapidly and collaboratively devise design approaches that balance time and technical constraints with users’ needs for efficient interactions in their critical tasks. Incorporate usability research and assessment findings into in-flight designs. Incorporate services into proposed solutions effectively.
- Produce design artifacts such as sketches, wireframes, interaction flows, prototypes, and mocks as needed to support brisk, productive cross-functional exploration, prioritization and usability assessments.
- Articulate design drivers effectively. Recognize the best design ideas and be willing to modify your approach for the best overall project outcome. Prioritize concerns and advocate for solutions according to their importance in delivering users’ success, focusing most energy on the most critical tasks and workflows.
- Build effective, collaborative working relationships with program strategy, program management and development.
- Shift easily among projects in a variety of size and scope, from single widgets to stand-alone features.
- At least 10 years of experience as a professional user experience designer, interaction designer, information architect or a similar role
- Outstanding portfolio showing hands-on UX track record: sample artifacts with a discussion of business challenges, constraints, and achievements
- Experience in designing web-based applications for complex enterprise needs
- Ability to guide complex features from initial concept to production and post-launch evaluation
- Current knowledge of web technologies, tools and trends
- Ability to create high-fidelity prototypes (HTML and CSS) to rapidly explore ideas and complex interactions in the context of the overall product
- Track record as a team player who knows how to work with diverse stakeholders and world-class developers
- Ability to work proactively, with limited direction, and manage projects under tight deadlines in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment
- Knowledge of /experience in healthcare industry a plus
- BA/BS required, with focus in Human Computer Interaction, Cognitive Psychology, Interaction Design, or Graphic Design preferred. Masters degree a plus
- Reports Directly to the VP of User Experience
- People management not required for this role, but is a plus
- Experience with both structured and agile development processes
- Excellent visualization skills with the ability to articulate concepts
Please include the link to your portfolio on your resume.